Harmoniemusik at the Parish Church ~ St Columb Major – 26/28/30 August 2014
The classical music group Harmoniemusik will again visit the Parish Church of St Columb Major to perform three varied and entertaining concerts.
The St Columb Festival was launched in the early 1970s by Cornish born Richard Cooke, whose father Canon Cooke served at the Church for many years.
Since 1992 Harmoniemusik has promoted this annual celebration of outstanding chamber music in the beautiful surroundings of the Parish Church at St Columb Major, an historic setting noted for its outstanding acoustic.
Harmoniemusik first performed at St Columb Major in 1992 and their ‘Classic Cornwall’ series has secured a loyal and enthusiastic following.
- The 2014 concerts provide a wide variety of music across a broad range of genres and styles.
- Harmoniemusik has been extremely fortunate to have received funding to allow the Parish Council to renovate and partly restring the St Columb Church piano.
- To mark the piano’s restoration three wonderful works have been programmed to show off the piano to the full – not to mention pianist Paul Guinery’s brilliant technique. These are Elgar’s Quintet for Piano and Strings (Tuesday), Brahms’ fabulous Horn Trio (Thursday) and Ludwig Thuille’s romantic barn-storming sextet for Piano and Wind (Saturday).
- Other attractions include Weber’s virtuosic Clarinet Quintet, York Bowen’s rhapsodic sonata for Flute and Piano, and two contrasting wind quintets one of which will promptly awaken anyone who may have inadvertently nodded off after a large cream tea!
- Each concert also includes a work from the baroque era with JS Bach’s concerto for oboe d’amore (Tuesday), Vivaldi’s Chamber Concerto in G minor (Thursday) and Telemann’s Trio Sonata in A minor (Saturday).
Delicious refreshments will be available in the Church Hall both before and also during the interval of each concert.
Tickets are available now from Hall for Cornwall (01872 262466), or by post from Joan Smale at 28 Station Road Newlyn East Nr Newquay TR8 5NE. Prices are £12 / accompanied under 16s free.